Thursday, January 19, 2017

So This is Today

I watched a clip on Facebook yesterday with a 100 year old woman answering some questions. She was hilarious , delightful and wise. One comment she made stuck with me more than the others." Every day I say thanks for that day even if it was a rotten one" That is something I try to do every day too.I have a routine dialogue to myself when I take my walks. This is one of the main reasons I miss those daily walks if for some reason I don't get to take them. One of the things I say to myself is "Thank you Lord for this day, (insert date).I then list the many things I am thankful for on that particular day. Just as the woman said , some days are rotten. Some days are harder to get through than others. I know the misery of such days but I also know the confidence of somehow finding enough strength to get through such days.. Along with that though is the fear of such days returning or being duplicated. That is the balance I seek. Thankfulness for current blessings, past victories and future assurance. Today I am sheltered in the comfort of my home. A light snow is falling which may lead me to stay inside as the ice I have been so carefully avoiding is now covered. I am very mindful of the consequences of ignoring this danger. My elderly parents are wintering in Florida and my dad calls every few days. My mom used to call every morning like clockwork. Her limited speech has put an end to that. Now after Dad fills me in on things like the weather, their busy, full schedule and a few other items I get to say a few words to Mom. She haltingly replies as best she can and I can get a word or two . I tell her I love her and she tells me she loves me back. Thank you Lord for this day. This day has allowed me one more day of hearing my Dad's words and my mother's affection. This day still finds me as a daughter, a wife, a mother , a grandmother and so much more. This day offers me quiet solitude and an opportunity to write. I can not bring past days back or change what has already been. I can not know what tomorrow will bring or change the course of things to come. But I have today and for that I am truly thankful.

2 comments:

  1. So, so true.
    Thanks for the reminder, Sue.
    Love the beautiful picture of your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Sue. Found your blogs and will be enjoying them for sure. Louisa

    ReplyDelete